Friday, March 21, 2008

Spinnin' My Wheels

So in anticipation of perhaps someday producing my own running podcast, I have been listening to several of the running podcasts that are already out there. I must say, not all running podcasts are created equally, at least as far as I'm concerned. I really prefer the ones that cover topics of interest. I'm interested in learning as much as I can about nutrition, carbo-loading, training, speedwork, running gear, ad nauseum. One of the podcasts I came across had an episode on cross training. This particular person was doing a workout with his bike on a trainer, and was watching a "Spinervals" DVD for the coaching. The parts of the video I could hear sounded awesome. I've been riding a spin trainer on some of my cross training days, but I freely admit I wasn't pushing it very hard. So, inspired by this "Spinervals" video that I admittedly could only sort of hear, I set out last night to find a free spinning audio workout. I found this one, which sounded like it was going to work.

Today at lunch I headed down into the empty gym (took a late lunch), and hopped on the trainer, the iPod set to the newly downloaded mp3.

OH. MY. HECK. What a killer. There were times in the workout where the coach would say something like "Okay, stand up, we're going to increase resistance and head up this climb" and I'd be like "Um, that's okay, I think I'll just go down the hill instead". My legs feel like rubber, especially my quads around my hips. It feels GREAT! I'm excited to get to the point where I can actually keep up with everything the coaches say. WAY FUN!

No comments: