Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Holy Cow!


I just checked my monthly miles total after several days of not checking it... I think the last time I checked it was early last week... I was in the 90-somethings for the month. As of today's run, I'm at 122.1 miles! By far my longest month ever, and I skipped out on at least one 10-miler. Wow.

Yesterday's run was a killer. To begin with, my legs were still a little sore from Saturday's 20-miler, but I mapped out a fun 6-mile route to take at lunch.



Did I say fun? I meant brutal! First of all -- wait, no. Second of all, it was warm (around 70 for the first time in weeks if not months), and I did not have any means with which to take any hydration with me. Yes, there was a drinking fountain at mile 1.1... That didn't quite cut it.

Third of all (do people ever really say that?), this route is UPHILL for 4 miles straight. And I'm not talking about a mild little incline. No, this is a run from downtown Salt Lake City into the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains. Up for 4 miles, then a quad-pounding, would-be-fun-on-a-bike downhill for 2 miles. Over 450 feet of elevation gain/loss. Ugh.

But it was kinda fun. I'm glad I did it. My pace was about 10:54, or right around the same as my 20 mile run on Saturday. If I can keep that pace up for 26 miles, I'll have my 4:50:00 or so marathon in 18 days. And to top it off, City Creek Canyon is one of the prettiest places to run in all of Utah.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

You inspire me -- can't wait to run again later this summer! --ink