Monday, September 15, 2008

Saturday ride and Monday intervals

My ride Saturday was a lot of fun, considering the circumstances. I didn't get out until about 9 a.m., so the deep cool of the morning had worn off and it was really remarkably pleasant outside. I ended up doing a somewhat rural loop with a couple of roads that are in bad need of resurfacing - no big potholes or anything like that, just rough asphalt. But rough asphalt on 100lb-per-inch skinny tires is rough! Anyway, it was about 19 miles overall in just over an hour. I was happy with it, though I wish I'd have gone a bit longer.

Today I did intervals on the treadmill at lunch. I did 4 x 800 with 800 warm up and 400 rests. (that's a 1/2 mile warm up, then 1/2 mile fast with 1/4 mile jogs/walks to recover). Total time was 34:11 for 3.5 miles altogether. It felt really good to push the legs. A couple of the intervals were near an 8:30 pace, which is huge for me. I haven't done intervals in quite some time, and I'm going to feel it! After the run I spent 20 minutes on the weights and machines. It felt like a really good workout today.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

So tell me more about intervals. I am running on a treadmill every day now (well, shooting for 5 days a week), so I need to know what I can do to keep it interesting and keep me progressing. I really like treadmill running, and I hope I can stick with it into the cold dark morning hours that are just around the corner. I have to go early and there is no one around here who will get up as early as I need to for a run. Norm might, but someone has to be here to deal with Julia should she awaken. So, I joined the gym! There is usually not a soul there when I first arrive, and when I leave, the die-hards are just starting to show up. (Ok, that was a tangent.) Treadmill tips! Bring em on!