Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Brick!

Okay, I really need to get a new picture up, but let's just say the fat tires are out and the skinny tires are in. And with that said...

Last week I did 2 bike rides on the new wheels. One was around town and the other was up City Creek Canyon. I can go so much further up the canyon on a bike than I can on foot! :) Both great rides. I am amazed at the difference in fitness required for a bike ride, especially while climbing. I don't have the leg strength to be able to push up a long climb yet... at least not very effectively. Glad the new bike has a granny gear!

Saturday I went for a brick workout with a friend who is now training for an ironman. We did 11.4 miles on the bike then did a 5 mile run. I now know why they call it a "brick". I didn't feel that bad or anything, but when I started running it felt like we were barely plodding along (after going 40+ mph on a bike, you ARE just plodding along at ~6 mph!), but checking in with the Garmin showed a sub-10 minute mile pace! Much faster than I expected, that's almost tempo-run pace for me. We ended up averaging 15 or so mph on the bike and a 10:24 pace on the run.

I'm hooked. I think I'm going to like this multi-sport thing.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Way to go brick-man! Tri's are fun (so I've heard)-- great variety and challenging too!
--ink