Monday, November 30, 2009

Day 4, no sugar

To recap, I going from the day after Thanksgiving to the day before Christmas Eve with no refined sugar. Today is day 4 of this experiment, and it's going rather well. Day 1 was particularly hard, because I hadn't planned for it and hadn't prepared any substitutes for the candy and snacks, etc., that are laying around our house perpetually, and especially this month of the year. Serendipitously, my sister emailed me a recipe for peanut butter bars the same day that Frayed Laces posted a similar recipe on her blog. I sort of combined the two into a really yummy snack that has been my fall back when I need a cookie-ish treat. Basically, this is my version of the recipe:
  • 1 cup chunky peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • about 1 cup nonfat dry milk
  • 1 1/2 cups oats
  • 1 TBS unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Microwave the PB & honey together to make it more stir-able, then add oats, cocoa, and vanilla. Add dry milk until it becomes non-sticky enough to roll into a ball (about the size of a cookie-dough ball before you bake it). Refrigerate on waxed paper until firm. Enjoy.

They're goooooooooooood. They're not calorie-free or anything like that, but they're good. I think overall I'm running on fewer calories, mainly from missing the soda and all the candy that finds its way into my gullet. I will weigh in today as an official "beginning" weight after my run at lunchtime, and then again weekly and on the 23rd to keep track of any progress. I do plan on continuing to run and exercise at normal (for me) levels during this experiment. Keep ya posted.

3 comments:

The Boring Runner said...

Wow. Impressive that you would even try this. Gooood luck!

I liked Frayed Laces' recipe too. I'm going to try it out whenever I get some time at home to whip some up!

theueckers said...

So do you bake this? What temp, how long?
Or just roll 'em up and put them in the fridge?

www.twitter.com/perseid88

Anonymous said...

Zach- these look good and I'll definitely be making them. I've done the no sugar thing and I can tell you that you will absolutely feel so much better. Which might make you ask...so then why did you ever go back to eating refined sugar? Um....I don't know? Habit? Because honestly after going w/o it and then one day my mil served a cake with rich icing and I thought I was going to be ill it was just gagging me. Anyway nowadays I'm more into everything in moderation. Also I have a mental thing going...if I can have the sweets available to me in my home then I can live without eating them! Isn't that ODD! (Okay don't answer that!) But really- it works very well for me. I have so many sweets laying around here with very little desire to actually eat them. Because I can. So of course I don't want to. ; - ) Best of luck to you in your endeavor and thanks for visiting my blog and for your encouragement! Christine