Friday, October 31, 2008

An epic ride and a PR

Saturday I went for a nice long bike ride. From our house up the west side ("Bacchus") highway to Magna, then out to Saltair, then along the I-80 frontage road along a very flat, very straight stretch of about 9 miles to the International Center, then south along 5600 West. Yeah, that's about 11 miles of uphill (only about a 4% grade, but after that many miles... ugh.) It was a total of 38.5 miles. If the uphill hadn't killed me, I'd have had a respectable pace as well, but I ended up with a 14 mph pace, finishing in 2 hours 45 minutes or so, and freaking out my wife, who I told I would be back in only 2 hours... yeah, well. It was still a GREAT ride.

In other news...

Last week I set myself a PR in my 4 mile City Creek Canyon loop that I like to run at lunch time. The time was 40:40, for a 10:05 pace. Now I've been getting faster at pretty much everything lately, and although I'm not sure why, I got the bug in my head that this could apply to the City Creek loop as well. I was thinking that a sub-40:00 four mile loop was in order. I've been doing some sub-10:00 paces on the treadmill, but this ain't no treadmill run...

Now I don't know if I've posted the elevation profile for this run before. So here it is...
Yes, that's over 400 feet of elevation gain/loss in 4 miles. And yesterday I did it in 39:30! That, my friends, is a 9:52 pace. Yes, I am tickled.

1 comment:

cropstar said...

AWESOME! That is so exciting. Way to push it!