Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I gave up milkshakes for this?!

Okay, to be honest, I will still have the occasional milkshake. But it's more like one a month tops, rather than one or two a week. What am I having instead?

Zach's Peanut Butter Smoothie:

1 banana
1 cup ice cubes
1/2 cup chocolate milk
1 handful baby spinach (about 1/2 cup)
1 big spoonful of peanut butter (probably about 2 TBS)
A squirt of honey
1/2 tsp vanilla

Blend and enjoy. Yum.

428 calories
20 grams fat
52 grams carbohydrate
35 grams sugar
6 grams fiber
13 grams protein


Compared to my usual chocolate PB milkshake:

969 calories
62 grams fat
83 grams carbohydrate
6 grams fiber
29 grams protein

I think I'm coming out ahead!

Here's another of my favorite smoothie recipes:

Zach's Citrus Smoothie:

1 banana
1 cup ice
1/4 cup diced pineapple
1/2 cup orange juice
1 handful baby spinach
1/2 tsp vanilla
squirt of honey

211 calories
1 gram fat
51 grams carbohydrate
4 grams fiber
3 grams protein
158% of your daily vitamin C

Good stuff. Have a favorite smoothie recipe? Include it in the comments!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

I'm drinking a smoothy right now! It's:

1 1/2 c whole frozen strawberries
1 banana
1/2 c frozen blueberries
1/2 c low fat milk
1 c yogurt (I used blueberry)
Some agave nectar and vanilla

It's really good! I would normally put in a handful of spinach too, but we're all out. I'll have to try you choc pb one. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I like those combinations. I'll add some plain, non-fat greek yogurt for a little extra protein & creaminess instead of the milk. Or do Almond milk, which has vitamin E.

Another one I do is:
ice
spinach
honey
frozen cherries
almond milk

It's AWESOME.

Craigers said...

Good stuff man! Thanks for posting the nutritional data too.