Thursday, January 29, 2009

Intervals!

So on my new training plan, Thursdays are speedwork days -- that means either a tempo run or intervals. I had planned on doing two tempo runs and one intervals run during each three week "on" training cycle. (More about training cycles in a future post, I'm sure.) Well, last Thursday I tried an interval workout I had downloaded from the "Get Fit Pod" podcast. It basically goes like this:

  • Warm up for however long... I think the podcast has you warming up about 5 minutes as it introduces the workout, etc.
  • Find your base jogging pace. This is pretty much the pace you runs on a "normal" weekday run -- quicker than your long run pace, slower than an interval pace. I set this at 5.9 mph on the treadmill, or about 10:10/mile. Do this for 2-3 minutes.
  • Then the intervals start. The first is one minute all-out running.
  • Rest for one minute at your base pace (5.9 for me).
  • 2nd interval - 2 minutes of all-out running.
  • Rest again for one minute at your base pace.
  • 3rd interval - 3 minutes of all-out run-as-fast-as-you-can go-go-go running (see a pattern here?)
  • Another recovery jog - this time 2 minutes.
  • 4th, and longest, interval - 5 minutes as-fast-as-you-can-for-that-long.
  • 3 minute recovery period. They let you walk if you need to on this one. How generous.
  • 3 minute interval
  • 2 minute rest/recovery
  • 1 minute interval
  • 30 second recovery
  • 30 second interval -- this is the absolute fastest you can go.
  • Cool down.
I stretched out the warm-up and cool-down periods so that the entire run would be 5 miles for me today. Last week when I did this, I just extended out the cool down into a 4.5 mile run. Today I added to the front side of the workout as well. Let me tell you, this workout is KILLER, and it's fun to do on the treadmill. It definitely breaks up the otherwise monotonous 50 minutes that would be a ~5 mile run. I highly recommend it. I like to call it a "Spin Class For Runners." Try it!

No comments: